With students staying home from school due to COVID-19, many families are experiencing unplanned disruptions to regular routines. According to UNESCO, 105 countries have closed schools and educational institutions nationwide, impacting over 897.1 million children and youth.
Since many of us are trying to balance work from home responsibilities with our children’s schooling and care, we’ve put together a few tips to help navigate this time.
Five Tips to Navigate Time at Home with Children During Coronavirus
1. Create a schedule.
2. Empower your child.
3. Make it fun.
4. Be active.
5. Curb screen time (and stay connected).
Free Shipping On All Orders Throughout the U.S.
As long as we have the ability to distribute products, and as long as kids are at home, we are offering structure, peace of mind, and free shipping on all orders within the United States. We would love to help you and your child during this time.
- The Time Timer PLUS is available in 5-Min, 20-Min, 60-Min, and 120-Min durations and has a portable handle with a protective lens, making it easy to carry to different activities or tasks.
- The Time Timer MOD is a 60-minute visual timer that caters to the senses. Its silicone cover creates a softer sensory experience and the cover is available in various colors that can be switched out for different activities or preferences.
Additional Ideas, Support, and Resources
See below for a sample schedule for kids with ADHD, as well as links to virtual museum tours and concerts, activities to keep your kids engaged at home, free subscriptions to education websites, internet access provisions, and websites that offer free audiobooks and eBooks.
- Use this sample schedule for elementary school kids with ADHD learning from home from ADDitude magazine.
- Take a virtual tour of museums around the world to experience arts and culture from your home.
- 50 Activities To Keep Kids Busy during social distancing.
- Live Virtual Concerts To Watch during the Coronavirus shutdown.
- 49 Montessori-inspired ideas for indoor activities with your kids.
- Download Free Coloring Books from 113 Museums.
- Sign up for free subscriptions to these education sites to help your child along with their education.
- Comcast has opened the Xfinity WiFi Network nationally for free and unlimited free data for free to ensure Americans can stay connected to the internet.
- Access free audiobooks, eBooks, music, and more. LibriVox provides access to free public domain audiobooks, Project Gutenberg and Manybooks have free eBooks to download, and Internet Archive is a non-profit digital library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.
We hope these tips and resources are helpful for our Time Timer family at this time. Please stay healthy.
Jodie Martin is a freelance writer specializing in health and wellbeing, lifestyle, and parenthood. She is also an E-RYT 500 Registered Yoga Teacher, Ayurveda Yoga Specialist, and Three Wisdom Traditions wellness coach. Jodie lives in Asheville, NC.